- To launch ‘Spectacle Wearer of The Year’ (SWOTY), Specsavers annual competition in the UK and Ireland, to consumers, media and bloggers by igniting interest in the competition to encourage people who may be interested in applying
WH devised a strategy made up of four distinct phases to launch the campaign, drive awareness of the competition and encourage entries to increase the level of entrants from previous years
A heavy weight media relations campaign provided the backbone to the SWOTY PR strategy. WH identified the need to tailor and target messages to each media outlet in order to secure coverage above and beyond launch announcement.
- Phase1 – Launch announcement of the 2012 competition – WH staged an announcement photocall featuring the 2011 Irish SWOTY finalist Grace Healy. Imagery from the announcement photocall was issued with press release.
- Phase 2 – Key to the success was delivering a strong programme of regional initiatives to encourage consumer participation. This involved an on-going heavy weighed media relations campaign. WH also worked closely with a number of Specsavers stores who under the guidance of WH hosted specific ‘SWOTY Scouting’ events.
- Phase 3 –The Irish Final – A catwalk fashion show event featuring the 10 Irish finalists was held in the Minerva Suite of the RDS. WH secured a panel of high profile judges including modelling agents and journalist s to select the Irish winner. The event was attended by 50 key fashion and lifestyle media across print and online resulting in strong next day press coverage.
- Phase 4– The Grand Final, London – The SWOTY final took place in Battersea Power Station, London. WH secured attendance from two Irish media outlets – Dublin’s 98FM with ‘Gossip Girl’ Siobhan O’Connor and Sam Hamilton, Showbiz Correspondent with The Irish Mirror where they interviewed celebrity guests on the red carpet resulting in content that was used over numerous shows on 98FM (both on air and online) as well as print coverage in The Irish Mirror. The Irish representative was selected as overall winner on the night which resulted in WH being able to secure strong next day national news coverage, Wan including front cover of The Metro Herald, following the issue of an announcement press release and images of Maria and Gok.
Extensive coverage was generated across print, broadcast, online media, including the front page of the Metro Herald, feature interviews with celebrities on 98FM, five national coverage hits, over 70 pieces of regional print coverage and extensive social coverage and tweets across key websites. Campaign achieved over 23million opportunities to see/hear about the brand over a four month period.